Chris's Reviews > Pattern Recognition

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson

Sep 06, 07

bookshelves: modern_lit
Read in August, 2007

Refreshingly unlike his classic book, Neuromancer, and the others in the Sprawl trilogy, Pattern Recognition cements for me the idea of Gibson as a great writer, showcasing his ability to predict societal trends, blend those into an exciting external plot while maintaining an overall satisfying emotional journey. I'd go into details, but when summed up I don't think they sound anywhere as interesting as the book actually is.

As a side note, the book's maybe a bit more cerebral than visceral, and ideally I'd like a little more balance, a little more catharsis, but the ideas and philosophy are complex enough to satisfy. I'll likely need to reread this in a few years, just to make sure it holds up, but for now I'm thoroughly glad I didn't put reading it off any longer.

It was amusing to realize, however (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that the hyper-technological Gibson's theme -- judging from Neuromancer and this book -- is a standard one: the isolated, seeking desperately to find connection.

A truly worthwhile read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pattern Recognition.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

John E. Branch Jr. I pretty much agree with all your comments. Though it wasn't clear whether you found it that theme you mentioned in your last paragraph much of a problem, it isn't for me. Isolated people trying to make sense of the world (close to what you said but not identical) have been a feature of many novels, even in the 19th century, and it's true to something in our modern situation.