Dancechica's Reviews > Scandal

Scandal by Carolyn Jewel

Apr 01, 09

bookshelves: own, historical-romance
Read in March, 2009

I enjoyed this book, though I wasn’t sure I would. I’m not always fond of romances where the main characters already have a history before the readers are introduced to them, and I especially don’t care for stories where there are a number of flashbacks, mostly because I hate being disrupted from the present storyline. But Jewel did a wonderful job of intertwining the past with the present so that I wanted to learn more of the characters’ history. Jewel also succeeded at making me feel for the characters. Sophie’s reluctance to believe in Banallt after her unhappy marriage was completely understandable even while their longing for one another was so transparent. The only minor issue I had was that very little was revealed about Banallt’s past. We learn a lot of Sophie’s past, and how she and Banallt came to form their unlikely friendship, but hardly any of Banallt’s. He had a wife, for example, but we never learned anything about her. But as I stated, it was a minor issue that didn’t detract from my overall enjoyment. I’m very glad I gave this book a try. I will be reading more books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandal.

03/21/2009 page 168
54.37% "I'm enjoying this book so far."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly I heard this was really good. Very emotionally compelling. Can't wait to see what you think.

Dancechica I’m hoping planning to write a review soon, but in sum, I really enjoyed it. I felt the hero and heroine were both well-drawn characters who really connected.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly I'm glad it lived up to the hype. I'll bump it up on my list.

VMom I agree with wanting to know more about Bannalt's first wife and why the heck he took to becoming a rake. Great review.