Tory's Reviews > If I Told You Once

If I Told You Once by Judy Budnitz

Aug 26, 07

Read in August, 2007

“I thought how strange it is, the way the shape of your life grows up around you unbidden, like weeds. In the beginning you do not intend to live any particular way, you think you are living freely, are hardly aware of the subtle choices you are making. But as the years pass your life slowly closes in around you, hardening like a shell, crowding you from all sides, hemming you in with furniture and debts and habits, forcing you into narrower and narrower channels until suddenly you find you have no choices any longer and can only continue in the same direction until the end.”

This book, as a whole is hard for me to gauge. Some of it, was wonderful, and because of that, the parts that were not wonderful were glaring and obviously lacking.

The beginning, a story of a girl from a remote Eastern European village with the superstition and the folk-lore woven into her tale. It was intriguing and fabulous. Then the story moved on, to her daughter, her granddaughter and her great granddaughter, and they were such weaker characters that it almost ruined the book. Along with the characters being unlikeable, the story lost it’s magical touch.

When I started the book, I loved it. When I finished the book, I just liked it alright.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Told You Once.