Shireen McQuade's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

F_50x66
Mar 06, 09

Read in February, 2009

Greg Mortensen is my hero! What a man, what a terrific human being! It is remarkable what this one person has been able to achieve, the impact his endeavor has had on the lives of so many children and their parents. I was so inspired to see how little this man's personal comfort and even his safety meant to him while pursuing his goal of building secular schools in the remote regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

I am re-reading the book to commit to memory the many facts I learned about that region. I also learned how little our military attache in Nepal knew about Pakistan and Afghanistan in the aftermath of 9/11. In fact, the US Embassy in Nepal was asking Mortensen about the region when he came to get his passport repaired; that embassy was supposed to be an expert about that region and it was disheartening to see how little it understood the tribal systems or even the geographical terrain of that region.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.