Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > A Conspiracy of Alchemists

A Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel Schwarz

A Conspiracy of Alchemists is a surprisingly fun debut, a wonderful blend of steampunk, urban fantasy and paranormal romance. It’s perfect for fans of Meljean Brook’s Iron Seas series. The worldbuilding may be slightly inferior in comparison, but that’s only because Meljean Brook is the untouchable queen of the genre. Leisel Schwartz did not disappoint with her fabulously imaginative world full of alchemists, Nightwalkers, absint fairies and warlocks. The steampunk elements were great (gyrocopters!) and the plot was highly entertaining, if a tiny bit predictable.

The romance, however, fell a bit flat. You know when you watch So You Think You Can Dance and a couple dances with technical precision, but the judges say there’s not enough chemistry between them? That’s exactly how this was: Elle and Marsh made all the right moves, but there wasn’t any spark there. I never felt the rush of expectation when they were left alone, and even though theirs wasn’t an instalove, it still wasn’t believable enough for me.

Elle was a great heroine, one I could easily admire. She refused to be limited by her gender and preferred flying airships to husband-hunting. The secondary characters were fabulously developed and I can’t wait to see more of them in the second installment, The Clockwork Heart. A Conspiracy of Alchemists has a very clean ending and it could easily have been a standalone, but I was very excited when the second book was announced.

I can’t promise you’ll remember all the details a month after you finish this book, but I can promise you’ll have a great time reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conspiracy of Alchemists.

01/05/2013
51.0% "Ugh. Stubborn man!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X You've made it sound like quite a good read with this short review.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Honestly, if you're looking for a good steampunk romance, I'd go with Meljean Brook, and if you're looking for steampunk alone, Bronze Gods by A.A. Aguirre is a much better read. But this is decent too.

message 3: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I might buy it for the shop, but it's not the sort of book I'm into right now.