Kathy Davie's Reviews > Holidays Are Hell

Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison

4222001
Dec 24, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, romance, urban
Read in December, 2012

Series: "Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel" (The Hollows, 0.2)
            "The Harvest" (Signs of the Zodiac, 1.5)

Four paranormal short stories with Christmas as the theme.

The Stories
Kim Harrison's "Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel" is a snapshot into Rachel's life before she joins Inderland Security and is her first meeting with Gordian Pierce.

You can find this short in Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond---a much better deal as it provides all the current Kim Harrison short stories for The Hollows.

Lynsay Sands' "Run, Run, Rudolph" is a cute idea, but Jill is such a dork! She keeps losing her shapeshifting control. She has stupid ideas. She never leaves a message to warn her brother or his wife. I mean, duhhh… Although, the ending was pretty funny.

Marjorie M. Liu's "Six" is a combination of secret agent, vampires, and necromancers battling it out for domination in Shanghai. I'd love to find out if this is a series as it has some intriguing possibilities. And we don't get many urban fantasies based in Asia!

Vicki Pettersson's "Harvest" is just after Zoe Archer has given up her superhero abilities to her daughter Joanne to fulfill a prophecy told her by the Seer. But then her newborn granddaughter is kidnapped, and Zoe is determined to get her back.

I've had Pettersson's Signs of the Zodiac on my TBR pile, but I have to wonder if I want to read it. What with all the duh-what moments in this story. Why would a baby need to go into witness protection? Why publish every little detail of what you did on a mission and everything you learned where, I assume, the bad guys can read it? If Zoe investigated Ashlyn's new adoptive parents so exhaustively, wouldn't she know what they looked like?

The Cover
The cover is a montage of each story and I can't tell if the sexy, knife-brandishing Mrs. Santa is walking on a cloud or on snow towards the sunlit collection of headstones with bats flying around them.

The title tells it like it is, Holidays are Hell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays Are Hell.