Jana's Reviews > Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline

Kids Are Worth It! by Barbara Coloroso

1202083
Mar 06, 2009

bookshelves: parenting, re-read
Recommended to Jana by: Barb Forsberg
Recommended for: parents
Read in May, 2009 , read count: 2

I am finding such clarity here, and loving the whole idea of "inner discipline".

I rarely finish non-fiction works; I tend more often to scan them for the information I'm after...or get bored and set them aside. But I devoured every page of this book, and can confidently say it's the best parenting book I've read. It has helped us to set aside some of our differences with regard to discipline and find a healthier middle-ground.

She uses an anagram for her approach to creating consequences that I love: RSVP
In other words, every consequence must be Reasonable, Simple, Valuable, and Practical.
And the greater goal is to make progress, with everybody's dignity intact.

She also has very healthy things to say regarding praise, including how to give praise in ways that build a child, without turning them into "praise junkies"-- by pointing out specific behaviors and using the phrase "I noticed..." rather than overdosing kids on meaningless platitudes like "you're awesome."

I am now on my second read of this book and will continue to refer to it for refreshers now and then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kids Are Worth It!.

03/06/2009 page 106
30.11% "I just knew I was meant to read this book. I won it (as a fluke) when someone defaulted. Thank you, Mrs. 4444!"

message 1: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany This sounds good. I think I'll have to give it a read.