Elizabeth's Reviews > A Thousand Tomorrows

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: q3-2009
Read in March, 2009

March 7, 2009

In "A Thousand Tomorrows," Karen Kingsbury tells the powerful story of two young people, both with different personal problems, who become best friends and eventually fall in love.Kingsbury, “America’s favorite inspirational storyteller,” captured me the moment I read the synopsis on the back of the book.

Cody Gunner, one of two main characters, lived a difficult life. When Cody was only eight years old his father, an ex-professional football player, left his family because his younger brother was born with down-syndrome. After deciding to never touch a football again, Cody took up bull riding, where he could unleash all the anger that had built up over the years. Ali Daniels, the second of the main characters, is one of the best barrel racers in the circuit, but must keep a huge secret from everyone other than her parents. Although she struggles with the situation, Ali continues to persevere and risks her own life to reach her lifelong dream – a national championship. Ali and Cody meet one day at a rodeo and, eventually, form a strong friendship and realize that they have much in common. After only a few months each one knows about every struggle the other faces. Each day the two begin to fall more in love, and later Ali’s secret begins to threaten her life. Cody must then make a heart-wrenching decision: keep bull riding and hope Ali gets better or stop and physically help save his first and only love’s life.

This book was an easy, yet captivating read. Kingsbury had me hooked from the first page, and her realistic details and imagery made me feel like I was a part of the book. I, personally, enjoy watching bull riding, so when I saw the words “a talented cowboy” on the back of the book, I knew it was one I wanted to read. Although it was rather short,Kingsbury described each situation so well that after reading a few pages I was careful to read every word so I would not miss anything. Not only is "A Thousand Tomorrows" a story involving rodeo and young adults, but is a magnificent love story about perseverance, forgiveness, and making sacrifices for those that you love.

For those who are fans of Karen Kingsbury, this book is a must. Even though I have only read one of her trilogies, I have become a huge fan of her inspirational novels. "A Thousand Tomorrows," in my opinion, is more directed towards females because it's a sappy love story type book. However, anyone who is interested in bull riding, barrel racing, or rodeo in general would love this book.

"A Thousand Tomorrows" is a great book altogether, and taught me that forgiveness is always the right thing to do, never to judge someone because you never know what's going on in their life, and to live life to the fullest because you're never promised "a thousand [more:] tomorrows."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Tomorrows.