Res's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Aug 20, 07

bookshelves: sff
Read in August, 2007

The one where a young man goes to Faerie to bring back a fallen star for his indifferent true love.

I was lukewarm about the movie, which inspired me to re-read the book.

Two of the finest things in the book are the sense of Faerie's breadth and depth, of all the stories happening in the corners where you only get the smallest glimpse of them, and the feeling the book has for the passage of time and the way it wears away old enmities and old loves.

The first time I read it, I hadn't read Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daughter, and the influence is very strong -- but Lord Dunsany's Faerie actually seems like it would be pretty boring for a human, while Gaiman's is very interesting indeed, if occasionally lethal.

The book is a lot more detailed than a fairy tale, and somewhat more interior, but there's still that fairy-tale distance between me and the characters, which may be why I don't feel like giving it four stars even though I enjoyed it very much.

It's immeasurably superior to the movie, though; more complex, more subtle, more snappily plotted, and lacking De Niro's Kaptain Kampy turn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Snicketts I was so pleased to see that the De Niro character wasn't in the book. I believe I actually sighed with relief!