Kate's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

1914270
Oct 09, 09

bookshelves: signed-by-author
Read in October, 2009

I laughed. I cried. I LOVED this book.

I'm not one for love songs or any kind of mooshy romance novels but the way Audrey Niffenegger portrays Henry and Clare's together/apartness is done so expertly, I found myself getting wrapped up in the characters in such a way that it was hard for me to keep the pages turning fast enough to see what will unfold next. Plus, the element of time traveling made the story even more interesting.

Now I can't wait to see what the movie version will be like and look forward to reading her next novel Her Fearful Symmetry

Quotes Kate Liked

Audrey Niffenegger
“We laugh and laugh, and nothing can ever be sad, no one can be lost, or dead, or far away: right now we are here, and nothing can mar our perfection, or steal the joy of this perfect moment.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Think for a minute, darling: in fairy tales it's always the children who have the fine adventures. The mothers have to stay at home and wait for the children to fly in the window.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Why is love intensified by absence?”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Of course.. some people, me included, believe that punk is just the most recent manifestation of this, this spirit, this feeling, you know, that things aren't right and that in fact things are so wrong that the only thing we can do is to say Fuck It, over and over again, really loud, until someone stops us.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Right now we are here, and nothing can mar our perfection, or steal the joy of this perfect moment.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“The compelling thing about making art - or making anything, I suppose - is the moment when the vaporous, insubstantial idea becomes a solid there, a thing, a substance in a world of substances.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Chaos is more freedom; in fact, total freedom. But no meaning. I want to be free to act, and I also want my actions to mean something.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“There is only one page left to write on. I will fill it with words of only one syllable. I love. I have loved. I will love.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Don't you think it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?”

Audrey Niffenegger
“I'm sorry. I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Love the world and yourself in it, move through it as though it offers no resistance, as though the world is your natural element.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Time is priceless, but it’s Free. You can't own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can't keep it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.”

09/29/2009 page 22
4.03% "Why is love intensified by sadness?"
09/30/2009 page 79
14.47% "After an hour or so had passed I am gone and there is only a blanket, a book, coffee cups and clothing, to show that I was there at all."
10/01/2009 page 163
29.85% "When Henry and Clare go to the Violent Femmes concert at The Aragon Ballroom, I really loved the writing for that part so much!"
10/02/2009 page 250
45.79% "This book is keeping me up late at night because it's so damn good!"
10/02/2009 page 283
51.83% "Friday October 22, 1993 (Henry is 30) Voila, I've become the me of my future."
10/05/2009 page 325
59.52% "Henry asks, "What am I?""
10/06/2009 page 396
72.53% "Henry has a conversation with his future daughter Alba at the Art Institute of Chicago. Such a beautiful conversation."
10/07/2009 page 457
83.7% "Clare says 'I feel like we're at the top of a roller coaster' but I'm asleep and I forget to ask her, in the morning, what she means."
10/08/2009 page 500
91.58% "Getting close to the end and getting sad that I'm almost done with such a great book!"
show 1 hidden update…

Lindsay Good timing! Her new book came out today! AND she's in Chicago for a reading at the Harold Washington Library today. I wish I could go. Are you? I *heart* this book!

Kate I really want to go and see her speak even though I just started this book. I'm going to wait and see how I feel after work, since with the change of seasons I've been feeling a bit under the weather. I'm enjoying the book so far though.

Lindsay Glad you like TTW! Her new book just came into the library this morning for me! Going after work to pick it up! Yay!