Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > Doodle Stitching: Fresh & Fun Embroidery for Beginners

Doodle Stitching by Aimee Ray

Mar 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: what-crafts, what-nonfiction, 2-process-add-crafts
Read on March 07, 2016 , read count: 2

This book is trying to do two things and accomplishes neither. First, it's trying to be a simple embroidery instruction book to make it seem less daunting. But there are insufficient diagrams for that. It only explains a stitch well enough for someone with some experience with stitching already. Then the actual projects don't explain much at all.

Secondly, it tries to make stitching young and hip and fresh. Again, it falls flat. The colors are mostly drab, seventies browns, creams and pale pinks. The stitching is mostly flowers and birds in very abstract "mod" seventies styles. Many projects are little more than a few stitches on something that you sew. While I love to sew, that's not why I looked at this book. (My favorite project, a cute little monster with a pocket containing a baby monster, is only pictured and not even given instructions for.)

There are some semi-interesting patterns here if you adapted them to your own style but if you are a beginner who needs a step-by-step project book, this is not it. If you are an advanced stitcher, this book will bore you.

Update 3/7/2016
On second read, I didn't dislike it as much. The designs are cute and whimsical and modern, the projects aren't particularly miraculous but they're cute, and the instructions are very good compared to the other pattern books I've been looking at which is sad. I like the koi and Japanese inspired lampshade project. Overall a decent book which is saying something about the embroidery books I've been looking at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doodle Stitching.