Kelly Maybedog's Reviews > Doodle Stitching: Fresh & Fun Embroidery for Beginners

Doodle Stitching by Aimee Ray

Jun 01, 09

bookshelves: what-crafts, what-nonfiction
Read in June, 2009

This book is trying to do two things and accomlishes neither. First, it's trying to be a simple embroidery instruction book to make it seem less daunting. But there are insufficient diagrams for that. It only explains a stitch well enough for someone with some experience with stitching already. Then the actual projects don't explain much at all.

Secondly, it tries to make stitching young and hip and fresh. Again, it falls flat. The colors are mostly drab, seventies browns, creams and pale pinks. The stitching is mostly flowers and birds in very abstract "mod" seventies styles. Many projects are little more than a few stitches on something that you sew. While I love to sew, that's not why I looked at this book. (My favorite project, a cute little monster with a pocket containing a baby monster, is only pictured and not even given instructions for.)

There are some semi-interesting patterns here if you adapted them to your own style but if you are a beginner who needs a step-by-step project book, this is not it. If you are an advanced stitcher, this book will bore you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doodle Stitching.