Neil Mudde's Reviews > The Year We Disappeared: A Father - Daughter Memoir

The Year We Disappeared by Cylin Busby

2034390
Mar 07, 09

Read in March, 2009

I found this book extremely difficult to read, even though it is well written. I simply cannot understand the obsession with guns,how easy they are to obtain, what horrific damage they can inflict in this case on a whole family. Policemen ought to be able to bear arms, and use them only as a last resort. How frightening it must be to have a Police force that does not support its own Policemen, due to political manipulation, allowing some citizens to do as they please and never hold them accountable, this Meyer should have been locked up years before, for laws he had broken, avoiding this whole extremely horrific, sad event.
The anger, rage and obsession with taking revenge,(understandably so) really wore me down, that I could only scan the last few chapters since I realized there was no resolve. John is an extremely courageous human being to be able withstand all the physical suffering he had to go through, his Wife Polly is very strong and supportive. I cannot help but feel that their children will be bearing the brunt of this whole ordeal for the rest of their lives.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year We Disappeared.

Lulu I TOTALLY AGREE about the manipulation! Meyer should have been in jail in the first place. It made me so mad that the cops did nothing to even investigate. I also thought John writing about taking revenge did wear me down, and it made me upset that there was no resolve, either. However... imagine what the entire family went through! Man I don't think I can live like that.