Viridian5's Reviews > A Companion to Wolves

Mar 05, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, slashy
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** A friend loaned A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear to me and told me to read it "for the lols." Indeed, it came off as somewhat ridiculous to me. A big plot point is whether a character will be able to hold onto his courage and honor enough to allow the werthreat he belongs to to publicly gang rape him as is necessary. Not that anyone in the werthreat holds anyone else responsible because, you know, their telepathic bonds with their wolves make them do it. Once again, Monette is involved with a book that features men who do other men while making it often seem sinister and abusive. The loving pairs get far less time than people forced into sex through their wolves or using sex for power advantages.

Though I give Monette and Bear credit for having human/animal telepathic bonding that doesn't involve making the animals cute and cuddly, as in Lackey Syndrome. But I felt distanced from everything: the sex, the disowning, and the battles. A few times the book made me sad, but with so many deaths and losses some of them had to hit.

I wonder if the Authors' Note at the beginning would have sounded as highhanded to me before the events of Racefail '09. Yep, they're tainted for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Companion to Wolves.

03/04/2009 page 6