Michael's Reviews > Alvin Journeyman

Alvin Journeyman by Orson Scott Card

Mar 10, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2009, series-challenge
Read in March, 2009

In his introduction, Card acknowledges that when "Alvin Journeyman" was first published, some fans had been waiting several years for the next installment in the series. Had I been one of those fans, I would have probably been really annoyed that I'd waited a long time and only got "Alvin Journeyman."

Just as is the case with the later Ender novels, the Alvin series seems to have descended into a series where people sit around and have lots of philosophical conversations that, while interesting, don't really do much to advance the plot. The most frustrating part of this is that we have some interesting subplots in here such as the rift between Calvin and Alvin that are brought up, sort of developed and then left dangling once the final pages are turned. Card hints at something more to come and maybe this novel is groundwork for that, but it still feels like an incomplete read. Or maybe this is just one long preview for the next installment in the series.

"Alvin Journeyman" seems to be more concerned with wrapping up bits from the last book and introducing a plethora of new characters more than it is about advancing the story of Alvin and his becoming a maker. Enough with visions of the Crystal City. Let's get onto actually building it or bringing it back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alvin Journeyman.

03/05/2009 page 60