Luisa's Reviews > Love Medicine

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich

Aug 20, 07

Recommended for: novel & short story enthusiasts
Read in May, 1995

To write a novel, start with a good short story. Then, write another. Then, another. Recycle your characters, put them all together, and you have a novel.
Yes, I'm being glib. Actually, I'm a big fan of Louise Erdrich's work. She transitioned from poetry to short stories into novels, and while the transition was not seamless, it was, and still is, a journey and a growth the reader can experience with her. Her early novels do read like short story collections with the imagistic intesity of poetry. In chapter one of , a character has sex in the cab of a semi, the trucker's red vest slipping on her chest, while the heater blows down her neck. Erdrich describes it as if the character were being licked by a giant tongue while hot breath engulfed her. The link between consumption and sex, between the forward thrust of life and the backward pull of death is fantastic.
This type of linking between the mundane and the sublime is Erdrich's forté, and her images convey this with an intense metaphoric impact. I'm looking forward to writing more about her books, and about my other reading experiences.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Medicine.