Sarah's Reviews > The Sheep Look Up

The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner

Mar 05, 09

bookshelves: 2007, fiction, sci-fi
Read in August, 2007

** spoiler alert ** oh. my. god.
the best kind of sci-fi: plausible sci-fi (that’s not really true, but there is something wonderful about plausible sci-fi).
written in 1972 the book takes place in the near-to-the-70s future. pollution has wrecked the planet. you can’t go outside in most areas without a gas mask. the crops have all failed because the insects are all immune to even the most poisonous insectisides(evolution!). the oceans and lakes are polluted with all sorts of oil and garbage, so drinking water is at a premium. tensions are high everywhere in the world because there’s a food shortage (no crops), and a water shortage, and big bad america isn’t doing anything serious to help, even though it’s the biggest polluter.
sound eerily prescient?
the president in the book is just like gw, ignorant and unaware or at least pretending to be. if i didn’t know it was written 30 years ago, i’d say it was a satire of the current administration.
anyway. it’s a really good look at the type of future we might be facing if we don’t stop living as if our existance has no impact on the planet or future generations.
truly, in my lifetime, some of this book could become non-fiction, and that is seriously scary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sheep Look Up.