Fran Prather's Reviews > Copper Sun

F_50x66
Mar 05, 09

bookshelves: young-adult-read
Read in February, 2009

I attended Draper's session at the International Reading Association National Convention last week. She mentioned that Copper Sun is being taught in conjuction with Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, which I have used with sophomores in World Literature, so I was intrigued.
The book follows Amari as slave traders destroy her home, she survives the trip over on the slave ship, and how she manages to survive as a slave in the US in the 1700s. It refers to her constant rape by white men, though it doesn't give gory details. The descriptions of her emotional pain and humiliation after are enough.
One thing I really liked about this was that Draper gives a balanced perspective. She shows how other tribes were involved in selling out Africans (they saw each other as members of different tribes, not as brother Africans), reveals whites who are conflicted, and shows that white women and poor whites were were victims of the system as well.
Overall, I thought this was amazing and if I teach American Literature again, it will definitely become part of my "canon."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Copper Sun.