Kelly's Reviews > Renhala

251943
Aug 14, 13

bookshelves: ebooks, urban-fantasy, read-in-2013
Read on August 14, 2013

You know those times when I say that I'm torn about a book? Guys, this is going to be one of those times. I honestly didn't know what was happening through big swaths of it -- not in the sense of *what* was happening, but how it all tied in. Yet YET, I was curious enough to keep reading.

Just so we're all clear, I know I have issues about main characters being lied to, important information being kept from them, etc. I KNOW THIS. It irritates me when something that could easily be explained is brushed aside by one or more characters. This happens to Kailey MULTIPLE TIMES during this book. However, that only engendered mild irritation.

My biggest stumbling block was how readily Kailey accepted all the weirdness around her. After being attacked and violated (I assume. At least that's what I took from it.) by something monstrous, she willingly embraces a passel of odd and/or disturbing creatures coming into her life. Her mom, who is watching her break down in a spectacular fashion, never mentions that Oh, maybe these monsters are real and she isn't as batshit crazy as she thinks she is. *cue irritated eyes*

And then there is Amber, Kailey's "best friend", who is SO self-centered it's painful to watch. The way she treats Kailey is awful and I cringed HARD whenever she'd show up. With friends like that... Yeah.

Beyond the characters (which there were more of, mind you, but I'm using my condensing superpower and only touching on a few points), there were a lot of times when the things happening to and around Kailey made no sense to me. While part of this can be explained by the nature of Kailey's power and the nature of the quest she's on (yeah, weird, convenient things happen, I get that.), I had a hard time following along with it all.

Despite all that, I was still intrigued enough to continue the story. By the time the ending came along, I was mentally attempting to tie all the pieces together and figure things out. For the record, I didn't figure it all out. Some events that happened seemed very convenient while other things that seemed monumental weren't explained enough to give them weight.

There's an odd love triangle, odder critters that attach themselves to Kailey, and bad, bad things happening in the world. While the idea was intriguing and I felt compelled to finish the book so I'd know how things turned out, I'm still torn on how I feel.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renhala.

08/14/2013 marked as: currently-reading