D's Reviews > Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Mar 27, 09

bookshelves: cooking, memoir, nonfiction, horror
Recommended to D by: Janet
Recommended for: fans of chick lit, fans of self-flagellation, fans of maggots
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

Julie disappointed me. Her tone was tired (I've rassled too many self-loathing Gen Xers who think that airing their dirty laundry is fresh and shocking; it's not; ever heard of reality TV? it's merely degrading; if it's dime-store therapy you're seeking via the blogosphere, good luck getting stable, coherent advice from your comments section). Additionally, she thought insulting her husband was funny, admitting to maggots under her dish drainer a good romp, and marital infidelity blase'. I have a hard time imagining how I would ever like her in person. I certainly don't in print.

By the end, though, when she finds out that Julia Child doesn't like her, I felt sorry for her. And she's not a total loss---she worships Buffy the Vampire Slayer *almost* as much as I do.

I get the impression that when she undertook the project Julie was a deeply depressed girl who was trying to lose herself in the details of the challenge. Frankly, it reminds me of Eat, Pray, Love in that regard. (Find yourself, eat great food, AND get a book deal out of it!) But she failed to evidence significant questioning or growth. Perhaps she was unprepared to vigorously grapple with the process. Perhaps she was too lazy. Perhaps her writing was too poor to convey overreaching change. But, then, what's the point of the book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Too much snarky partisanism for me, but almost readable. Pretty revolting chapter about dis-emboweling shellfish lead to realize writer is pretty revolting, too.

message 2: by D (new) - rated it 2 stars

D *snort* cha, you should start a shelf labeled "I Will Judge You if You Read This."

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene :)

Judging happening here.

message 4: by D (new) - rated it 2 stars

D what's menacing? is that i haven't read it, yet. so it's merely the PROMISE of your scalding judgment that keeps me awake nights.

*cha dons tee "Shellfish are people too!"

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Simply my opinion about author, not readers...unless you take to tearing apart shellfish.

message 6: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Told you.

message 7: by D (new) - rated it 2 stars

D and i totally agree about the snarky partisanitude. she was tiring and made me sad. the whole thing about serving subway-assed leftover desserts to the republicans in her office but warning the democrats? that was just mean spirited.

thank god i'm a better person than she is. right?

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Everyone's a better person than she is.

message 9: by D (new) - rated it 2 stars

D PLUS: look totally hott in Obama 08 tee.

La Petite Américaine Great review.

message 11: by D (new) - rated it 2 stars