Liz's Reviews > The Seduction of the Crimson Rose

The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren Willig

2042021
Mary Alsworthy (as well as the rest of London's elite) was shocked when her fiance eloped with her sister. It wounded her pride, and made her a laughingstock in their social circle. And worse, now Mary has to start from scratch at finding a husband, and spending the Season in London doesn't come cheap. Galled at the idea of having to accept financial aid from her former fiance -- now her brother-in-law -- and her sister, she accepts an offer from the mysterious Lord Vaughn. He wants her to help him capture the elusive French agent known as the Black Tulip, the nemesis of the Pink Carnation's league of spies, and in return she will be paid handsomely. Seeing no other alternative that would enable her to keep what little dignity she has left, she agrees. But could it be that the Black Tulip is more dangerous than either she or Vaughn had anticipated? And how will she handle the newfound feelings she has for her employer?

This series is brainless fluff, but I can't help enjoying it anyway. I was happy that this book has less romantic hanky-panky than the previous three books (despite the fact that the title would seem to imply the exact opposite). Because it really was getting to be a bit much there for a little while (at least for me, but then I don't care for trashy romances). There's still quite a lot of romance, but we actually seemed to get back to the original premise of the series, which is English spies with flowery names protecting England from the bad guys, Scarlet Pimpernel-style.

And of course, the parallel plotline taking place in the modern day, starring historian Eloise Kelly, is still kicking (but barely). I wish the author would just ditch this whole aspect of the series entirely, because it's very weak compared to the historical sections. All Eloise ever does is simper over Colin and dig through archives for awhile and then simper some more. I think the sole reason this plotline even exists is so the author has an excuse to end historical chapters on a cliffhanger and keep the reader in suspense for a few more pages.

Anyway, I actually thought this book was a bit stronger than the last one, and I'm sure I'll be reading the next two books in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seduction of the Crimson Rose.

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee I totally agree -- brainless, fun fluff! This was my favorite in the series. That Vaughn is super dishy.

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars