Maya Panika's Reviews > Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel

Loser's Town by Daniel Depp

Mar 20, 09

Read in March, 2009

A fantastically enjoyable read filled to the foaming brim with pathetic, lonely, evil, hilariously funny, believable people.

Daniel Depp clearly knows his landscape and his characters personally; you can practically smell the smog and the petrol fumes, see the heat-haze rising from the black top. The sleaze and the glamour – and occasionally, the terror - of the movie world is described in such hateful detail, you’re practically living in Bobby Dye’s trailer, being assaulted by his self-loathing and anger.

Spandau’s a fabulous character. I enjoyed his quiet self-confidence and cynicism; he’s the reality check that holds everything together – but Terry owns it, totally. He has all the best dialogue:

“It could be worse. You could’ve let him have his way standing up in the lavatory.” She gave him an angry look since this was exactly what she’d done.
“…I want a drink.”
“You’ll be in mourning for your lost honour, and I wouldn’t presume to intrude upon it,” Terry said to her.

The low-key, downbeat final ending took me by surprise – very not-Hollywood and thoroughly splendid.

I'd really love to know what happened to Potts. His was the one loose end I really cared about.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loser's Town.