James's Reviews > Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: 2009, experimental-book-club
Read in March, 2009

An influential collection of stories that play with and distort our notions of time and reality. Mind-bending and trippy. The essays deal with similar subject matter, but fail to resonate anywhere near the way the stories do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinths.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele W. Borges is THE MAN. (I can loan you some Borges, too, if you'd like.)

(If all goes according to plan, I will be moving to Israel for a year next summer. All my books will be in storage, so I feel it's better to loan them out and retrieve them all when I get back, than to have them sitting in teh dark, unloved.)

James Yikes! I don't know if our apartment can withstand any more books. They're like horny rabbits.

I've been meaning to read Borges for awhile now. We're reading this for an Experimental Book Club through the Nashville Public Library. I'm enjoying it.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele W. Oooh. What else is on the reading list?

message 4: by James (last edited Mar 12, 2009 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

James It just started a little while ago and it only meets every other month.

So far, we've read:
Pale Fire by Nabokov
Watchmen
Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany

Upcoming:
Bearheart: the Heirship Chronicles by Gerald Vizenor
The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea

message 5: by Michele (last edited Mar 12, 2009 03:00PM) (new)

Michele W. Please let me know what you think of the Illuminatus Trilogy. I'm considering it.

I've been wanting to read Watchmen, especially since the movie is coming out. Well, is OUT, now. What did you think of it?

James I own a copy of the Illuminatus Trilogy, and I'm hoping the book club is the incentive to finally read it. Ha!

I love Watchmen. It's brilliant. Slightly dated now, but still brilliant.