Colleen's Reviews > The City of Falling Angels

The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt

May 01, 09

Read in May, 2009

It took me a long time to get through this book; even though for the most part I found it boring, I still found some interesting points in it and didn't want to just quit reading it. Like most of the other reviewers I chose this book because I absolutely loved Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I think Berendt is a great writer and I really like his style but City of Falling Angels fell far short of what he accomplished with Midnight in the Garden. The premise (the burning of the Fenice Opera House) and the cast of "eccentrics" were nowhere near as interesting as those in Midnight. I think part of the problem was that he didn't really focus on many true Venetians, they were all expatriate British and Americans who seemed to personify the term Nouveau Riche. I didn't feel like loose ends were tied up; he'd introduce us to these characters, tell us their stories but then never follow up on where they ended up (with the exception of Seguso the glassblower). The ending was very anti-climactic; there was the huge build up to the re-opening of the Fenice but then the actual event seemed to be just glossed over right at the end. I don't think I would recommend this to anyone.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Falling Angels.