Emanuela's Reviews > The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language

The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker

Jun 24, 09

bookshelves: compulsory-readings, continuous-learning, language-learning, read-in-english
Recommended for: Elena in particular; in general, to anyone interested in the dynamics of language
Read in January, 2009

I have barely started it but I'm loving it already. I'll be back with a much more enriched review once I've finished it.

Now that I have finished it (about two weeks ago) I can finally write something more about it.

To begin with, I must confess I have had a few troubles finishing this book, but simply because I've fallen so in love with it that it really cost me a lot to end it.

The Language Instinct has definitely made it to the top three list of my all time favorite books. Written in an informative yet accessible way, every chapter both a new discovery, a challenge and a new adventure, The Language Instinct is the equivalent of an erudite yet enjoyable travel companion who entertains rather than lectures the reader with its knowledge.

And just like the end of a pleasant journey, it is deeply sad to finally reach the last page. At the same time, just like every formative experience in life, when you finally reach the end cover, you walk away from The Language Instinct enriched in mind and spirit.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language Instinct.

03/06/2009 page 70