Wajiha's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Jan 13, 13

bookshelves: 2013
Read from January 11 to 12, 2013

I love this book! not so much for the story, which is pretty good, but what it represents, a slice out of our time. Twitter, Google, Facebook, Ruby, Eigenvectors, Matrices, Typography, Graphic Design, Wireframing, Digital Piracy, e-readers, Industrial Light & Magic and more. If you grew up with, studied in or worked in a similar space, which I did in an engineering school, you will love it. If this book endures, it will be interesting to see what people hundred years from now think about it.

The story is set in San Francisco, which is perfect for something like this and made me miss the city. As Clay roamed around it, I recalled bits of it that I love and I'm pretty sure which mall in downtown he's talking about.

The part about google gets a bit much though and I wish there was a real typeface called Gerritszoon that the book had been printed in. Helvetica step aside, (maybe?), it's all in the serifs!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

01/11/2013 page 98