Stephanie's Reviews > The White Bone

The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy

May 25, 09

Read in May, 2009

I'm already very sympathetic to elephant causes. I'm aware of their relative intelligence and charmed by their advanced social and familial structures in the wild. That's why I really wanted to love this book. Sadly, that just didn't happen. Now bear with me as I explain why.

I can certainly see that Barbara Gowdy is a gifted and inventive writer. This was the first book of hers that I read and I don't believe it will be the last. She gets bonus points for the sheer bravery required to even attempt a book such as this. However. How do I say this without coming off as prudish? I simply never wanted to know so much about elephant sex. There. I've said it. Judge if you will. But once you read about the condition of Torrent's elephant stuff during mating season, you'll know what I mean. A little description goes a long when when discussing these things, and I just got tired of it. Still other parts were too cutesy. Inventing an elephant's world view isn't easy, and I doubt anyone could do it better, but again it was too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Bone.