Chelsea's Reviews > A Countess Below Stairs

A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: 2009, historicalfiction, own, romance, recced, youngadult
Read in February, 2009

Oh, Eva, we are going to get along just fine.

I was a little disappointed by the last Ibbotson book I read (A Song For Summer), but this one was far better, and a return to A Company of Swans, which I adored.

It's a sweet, fun, fluffy book with a bit of a Cinderella feel to it. Probably not the most realistic take on England between the World Wars, and certainly not the most realistic when it comes to penniless Russian nobility living in exile, but you know what? It was charming and old fashioned, and I had a ton of fun reading it.

Update: this is the Ibbotson I return to most often. It's clearly because of the Russian/Romanov connection (I'm still fascinated), but it's also a fun, fluffy comfort read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Countess Below Stairs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Ha! I just "voted" for this and realized I unvoted. So, I voted again.

Chelsea Lisa wrote: "Ha! I just "voted" for this and realized I unvoted. So, I voted again."

I just had to make it difficult, didn't I? :)

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Chelsea wrote: "I just had to make it difficult, didn't I? :)
"

Others too. It definitely happens on a semi-regular basis. I'm fine with it. I'm just worried I won't catch it every time it happens.