Carrie's Reviews > Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them

Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose

Mar 04, 09

Read in February, 2009

Francine Prose is a novelist who also teaches (as many novelists do), and she has written about about reading like a writer (well, I guess the title makes it obvious, right?). This book is clearly written and insightful and made me think differently about how I read - not a small feat, considering how much reading I do. The chapters are broken down by the nuts and bolts of writing - writing, sentences, paragraphs - as well as the tools of story - narrative, plot, character, and is loaded with examples from Prose’s favorite writers. It sounds a bit textbook-y perhaps, but I found it mesmerizing and couldn’t put it down. One of the best - most educational and also enjoyable books I’ve read. I took this copy of the library, but I’d like to buy another, and refer back to her book in case I ever do start to try to write myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Like a Writer.