LJ's Reviews > Promises in Death

Promises in Death by J.D. Robb

Mar 04, 2009

bookshelves: female_author, future, mystery, new_york_city, police_procedural
Read in February, 2009

PROMISES IN DEATH (Pol/Proc-Eve Dallas-NYC-Future/2060) – VG+
Robb, J.D (aka Nora Roberts. – 29th in series
Putnam, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399155482

First Sentence: She was dead the minute she answered the ‘link.

Lt. Eve Dallas takes on a new case that is particularly painful. Amaryllis Coltraine was a fellow cop and the love of Eve’s friend and colleague, Chief Medical Examiner Li Morris. The case has even more personal overtones when Eve discovers Coltraine was previously involved with criminal Alex Ricker, whose father Eve, with Roark’s help, put in prison for life.

I am an admitted Robb/Eve Dallas fan and this book was one of the best. In spite of a silly gender typo on page 10, the opening was powerful, effective and compelling without any portents.

Eve is one of my favorite female characters. She is strong and smart. She speaks for the dead and ensures justice is done for them. She is also terrified of “girly” things such as babies and hen parties, and completely inept at shopping. With each book, she learns a bit more about herself and moves forward in her relationship with Roark. There is the romance with Roark and sex, but it gives balance to the character and an area for emotional growth. She is also a bit of a prude in public situations, which is delightfully offset by her partner Peabody who has lustful thoughts about every male she meets. All the supporting characters are fully developed and well drawn.

Robb has set the story in 2060 and creates a strong sense of time and place. The balance of the world as we know it but with futuristic elements is well drawn and very believable. Another of her strengths is dialogue. She has a great voice for both normal conversation and humor.

I feel the plotting improves with each book. There were a couple instances when I thought I knew where she was going and disappointed because they would have been rather clichéd or formulaic. To my surprise and delight, I was wrong in both instances.

It was a great book in a wonderful series.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises in Death.