LJ's Reviews > The Traitor of St Giles

The Traitor of St Giles by Michael Jecks

Mar 04, 2009

bookshelves: 1300s, england, male_author, middle_ages_5th_cent-1558, historical
Read in February, 2009

THE TRAITOR OF ST. GILES (Hist. Mys-Baldwin Furnshill/Simon Puttock-England-1321) - VG
Jecks, Michael – 9th in series”
Headline, 2000, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 0747274037

First Sentence: In the servant’s hall of her father’s house in Tiverton, Joan Carter yawned and stretched.

England is in political turmoil and on the verge of civil war. Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Bailiff Simon Puttock have come to Tiverton Castle for the feast of St. Giles. While there, they are called to the scene of two murders.

A young man, Dyne, accused of raping and murdering a young woman, had claimed sanctuary and was set on the road to leave England. His body has been found decapitated in the woods.

Sir Gilbert of Carlisle, an ambassador set to visit Sir Hugh at Tiverton, has been murdered along with his dog. Tiverton’s Coroner is satisfied that Dyne killed the knight and was killed in turn for having left the road. Baldwin is not satisfied.

I love this series. The story is intricately plotted interweaving the role of politics and religion with personal stories and human foibles. The research is evident and history fascinating.

Baldwin is not always likable but his actions are appropriate for his background and position, yet at times he is the catalyst for humor. Simon, the practical man, is a perfect foil for Baldwin, the former Templar knight. I enjoy seeing Baldwin tempered by his recent marriage, yet miss Simon’s wife Margaret, who has not been a part of this, or the previous, book.

Jeck’s does use a bit of foreshadowing, which makes me crazy as it is so not needed, but I enjoy his writing, nonetheless. I am looking forward to Book 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traitor of St Giles.