Corinne's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Mar 04, 09

bookshelves: advance-reader-s-copy
Read in February, 2009

Let me start off by saying I could not put this book down. I must also say, that this book ripped my heart into tiny pieces and I'm not sure I'll ever be the same. Really. Maybe it's because I'm a mom or maybe I'm just an incredibly sensitive person. But I now have images in my brain that will never leave.

Sarah's Key takes place in France - switching between the modern day and the early days of World War II. I really like books like this, and I think the author did a fine job of transitioning us back and forth and filling in the blank spots. Sarah is a 10 year old girl living in Paris when her life is shattered by the French Police, who come into her home to arrest her parents and deport them, along with thousands of other French Jews. Her haunting story is intertwined with that of Julia, a journalist who stumbles upon Sarah's story as well as learning about the involvement of the French Police in the deportations.

Julia's fascination with the story leads her on a journey of not only self-discovery, but also a discovery of a her family's past, a country's past, and the consequences of a terrible secret.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi L. (new) - added it

Heidi L. I've really been wanting to read this -- sounds like I'll need to prepare myself for it!

Jaime I feel the same way about this book. I read it a couple months ago and still think back to what they did to the babies in the camps.

Scott Just selected this for our book club!

Carrie Your comments mirrored my thoughts.

Judy Miller-scobie Exactly how I felt about this book!

Veronica Me too!

Elizabeth I feel the same way! It haunts you...we are reading it for book club in April.