Peachy's Reviews > The Diary of a Young Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

2095554
Mar 09, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult, memoirs, wwii, made-into-movies, epistolary, inspirational, family, coming-of-age, loss-of-innocence

I recently picked up this book because my ten year old niece expressed interest in reading it, and I wanted to make sure that the content wasn't too graphic for her quickly diminishing innocence. I’ve come to the conclusion that Anne’s story would undoubtedly teach appreciation for the small things in life, a strong work ethic and the importance of a positive mental attitude. However, because this is a diary recording the thoughts of a young teenage girl, it also covers Anne’s discovery of her sexuality, her adversity towards her parents, mixed in with some spoiled-brat whining, these of course all being areas where a ten year old needs no help with advancement. I will be sure to pass the book on to her when she is about thirteen, when I’m sure she will better relate with Anne’s plight. Ultimately, Anne was insightful, self-aware and very driven, and it is amazing to notice her continuing transformation into a mature young adult as the entries progress. I found her determination to be a writer very inspiring, and even though Anne’s young life was cut short due to the horrors of the Nazi party, her dream was still realized after her death through her diary.

www.booksnakereviews.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Young Girl.