Mo's Reviews > The Art of Happiness

The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIV

Mar 04, 09

I'd been meaning to read something written by the Dalai Lama for quite a while, and this one was cheap so I picked it up. Also, I was interested in the comparison of views between a western psychiatrist and a religious figure. Personally, I didn't think this really worked out. Mostly, Cutler repeats the Dalai Lama's message and links it to psychiatric practice without looking at it from a critical perspective. On the one hand, this is good because it means he gives plenty of space to the views of the Dalai Lama. On the other hand, it makes you wonder about the added value of having him as a writer.

However, this book is still full of nice, thoughtful passages. It's interesting to read about the Dalai Lama's views on happiness, and while I do recognise some of these ideas from cognitive therapy and western self-help book, it's still nice to see them against a different background. Also, it's an easy read and even if you don't agree with all of it, you can still find plenty useful ideas in it.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Happiness.