Sonja Reid's Reviews > From Front Porch to Back Seat: Courtship in Twentieth-Century America

From Front Porch to Back Seat by Beth L. Bailey

Mar 04, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in March, 2009

This was fascinating and entertaining. As someone who didn't grow up with my grandparents alive, I had no perspective on the evolution of dating, and thought that the 50's style of dating - going steady - was just how it had always been. And I was completely wrong...apparently, parents of teens in that era were utterly mystified by the convention: dating in the decades previous to WWII focused on being wildly popular and in demand, and in dating as many boys as superficially as possible. How would you know who was right for you if you didn't meet a lot guys? And simply going out on a date was a change from the early part of the 20th century which emphasized the guy visiting with the girl at her home.

It's interesting to see how much courting has changed, and also to see that the conventions touted now as the good old-fashioned way really aren't all that old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Front Porch to Back Seat.