Elizabeth's Reviews > The Knitting Circle

The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood

Mar 06, 09

bookshelves: chick-books
Recommended for: NOT mothers of small children!
Read in March, 2009

Discovered this in the display of books by women authors at the library, for Women's History Month. I was definitely interested in reading another book about females pulling together to help each other through hard times, especially in the context of crafting together.

I liked the writing, definitely, because I felt pulled into the story. I cried my eyes out, though, and I don't think the book needed to be so relentlessly sad. Maybe it did, though, because it sort of helped you to realize that the tragedy was ongoing for the main character - little reminders that made you cry along with her.

It was a little formulaic, though - Mary goes to Scarlet's turf, learns a new knitting technique, and Scarlet tells Mary about her own tragedy. Next, Mary goes to Lulu's turf, and Lulu tells Mary about her tragedy while teaching her a new knitting technique. Mary goes to Ellen's and Harriet's and Alice's and Beth's turf... you get the idea.

There were other plot points that I felt were a bit predictable. That didn't really stop me from enjoying the book, but I really don't think this is something a parent should read, especially a parent of a small child. It's just too painful, even for myself (as a non-parent who just has a small child or two in her life).

This is not one that I will be re-reading, and I wish I could give it 3 1/2 half stars, but it deserves 4 more than it deserves just 3, I guess.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knitting Circle.

03/04/2009 page 67
17.45% "I know it's about getting over tragedy, and I was prepared for that, but oh my, is the first part sad. It's really great so far, even so."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Thanks for the warning! I have a friend who started knitting as a way to work through a loss.

Barbara I didn't know you had read this! I just started it today. I got it at a PEO garage sale. You're right about it being very sad. I wasn't expecting that. I'll let you know how I liked it.