Dawn's Reviews > Seven Days in the Art World

Mar 09, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: librarylove
Read in March, 2009

I am a book selection committee for a summer reading program at the university where I work. Our theme this year is museums. This was one of the books that was being considered.

I think if I knew more about the art world to begin with, this book would have been more interesting to me. I did like the format of the book and how each chapter explored a different aspect of the art world. You could definitely tell Ms. Thornton is a journalist from her writing style.

I think what turned me off was the talk of all the money being exchanged for various art pieces and such. I'm not in a place where I can feel anything but irritation with spending more than a million dollars for a piece of art.

Good book, well written, interesting topics, though. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Days in the Art World.

message 1: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin Faelinwolf- I'd be interested to know what other books with a museum theme your committee was considering or finally selected. Do you mind passing them on?

Dawn Caitlin wrote: "Faelinwolf- I'd be interested to know what other books with a museum theme your committee was considering or finally selected. Do you mind passing them on?"

Hi Caitlin!

They finally decided on Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonder by Lawrence Weschler.

The other two "finalists" were Dry Storeroom No. 1 by Richard Fortey and Loot by Sharon Waxman.

I can't remember all of the books that we looked at--there were so many. A lot of them were too academic or too textbook like. Let's see if I can remember a few...

Museum by Danny Danziger
Master Pieces by Thomas Hoving
Who Owns Antiquity? by James Cuno
The Medici Conspiracy by Peter Watson
The Forger's Spell by Edward Dolnick
The Man Who Made Vermeers by Jonathan Lopez
The Museum by Rupert Smith

That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if you need more info! I can always get you in touch with someone who is still there.