CuriousLibrarian's Reviews > Dream Country

Dream Country by Neil Gaiman

Mar 04, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, best-reads-2009
Read in January, 2009

This is a volume with three brilliant stories and one mediocre one. So I give it a 4.5. The last story keeps me from giving it a 5. I know there is still plenty more Sandman to go, but this will continue to rank as one of my favorites whatever comes in the future volumes.

I don't like to do spoilery reviews, but I don't see how I could review this one without them. So I guess I'll be vague instead.

"Calliope" - The creepiest and most disturbing story I've seen Gaiman do. Not least because there's so much autobiographical stuff in it.

"The Dream of A Thousand Cats" - This was actually the second time I read this story. My husband showed it to me out of context long ago to persuade me to read Sandman. It makes more sense in context. :) Very realistic cats, which makes this one all the more creepy. It's hard to look at your cat the same way after reading this one.

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" - I read this without knowing it was an award-winning story. But I have to say that is, without a doubt, the best pairing of story and art I've ever seen in comics. Charles Vess and Neil Gaiman pair masterfully on this story. The juxtaposition of the Fae and the actors was fascinating, and Vess puts so many little details into his art. As an actress I was especially interested in how one portrays a soliloquy on a comics page. This one is very effective within this story, but obviously wouldn't work in other situations. (Was that sufficiently vague and un-spoilery?) Delicious story. I wish it worked well enough out of context to show comics naysayers.

"Facade" - It's just there. Not a bad story, just very "meh." Probably it feels that way even more than it otherwise would coming after three such brilliant stories. A shame really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Country.