Blessing's Reviews > Island of the Aunts

Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson

1987705
Mar 03, 09

Recommended to Blessing by: I got it from my mom's house
Recommended for: Easy read and fun to imagine it being real today.
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

I got this book at mom's house when she was letting us pick 5 books out.
This is a real story - meaning not fantasy, but it actually has some things that wouldn't be classified as "real". It has mermaids that have been in an oil spill and selkie seals that when you look in their eyes you can see a human spirit. There is also the Kraken....you have to read the book to find out why this Kraken is so beautifully created by the author.
Taking place from England, there are 3 aunts (they have a nephew & a niece) who live on this island in the Atlantic Ocean. They need help taking care of all the animals and creatures that have come to the island for healing and refuge (from oil spills...), since they are getting older. So, they decide to kidnap 3 children. 2 end up being good choices and one a not so good one (he just wants his cell phone and his ipod), the other 2 "enjoy" being kidnapped.

Well it all comes to a head when someone discovers the island in the search to rescue the kidnapped children. And when the aunts are put on trial for kidnapping the children, did the children really get kidnapped after all???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island of the Aunts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by lAuRa (new)

lAuRa Wow that was a long review. Very detailed. Sounds kind of interesting. How did it make you feel? Sad happy? I liked how you told what the story is about but I want to know more about what you liked/didn't like and how you felt while reading it.

Blessing It is interesting.
I liked that it was modern time but still fantasy kind of. The mermaids and such - they could be real, why not?
I liked how the kidnapped kids worked all day on the island, but they really liked it because they got close to the animals and developed strong relations with each other and the animals. they would sacrifice things for eachother and the animals. the friendship part of it really was great.
I got mad where someone just wanted to get the animals for themselves so they could make money. That is what a lot of people do all throughout history. It made me think that a lot of times people who do that, just don't know what they are doing. They should know about the thing that they are trying to exploit. Hear it from the side of the people or the place. When we do things in life it affects more than one person and the majority of the time our own self it the one who it affects the most.

message 3: by lAuRa (new)

lAuRa It does sound like a good book I will have to borrow it.