Jared's Reviews > Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo

Dec 01, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, books-i-own
Read in March, 2009

The book is about an orphan with some special characteristic that makes him able to occasionally see and manipulate the future. He, of course, is the hero of the book, as any orphan with magical powers must inevitably be. So the premise of the book is immediately weak -- overused literary theme.

And the writing is frankly disappointing. It's rather awkward. Not quite as bad as Eragon, but bad enough that I decided not to finish the book. For me, that's pretty bad. The editing was poor, too, which is never an encouraging sign. Anytime you see obvious misspellings, you know that the editor either 1) was so bored with the book that they couldn't pay attention, 2) was out of their depth due to technical complexity (several of my college textbooks), or 3) didn't actually expect much of anything from the book.

That this book is apparently so popular among the young adult male population is a tribute to something, but I can't think what it is. Desperate need to be special, like a mistreated orphan boy with magical powers, maybe?

Some of the ideas and the allegories in the book are interesting (for example, one character has an almost unhealthy trust in fate), but the writing didn't hold my attention for long enough to find out where they were leading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo.

12/01/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Juu (new) - rated it 1 star

Juu LOL! Eragon is terrible but I guess it does still beat Leven Thumps!

Jared At least enough that I was able to finish Eragon... :)

message 3: by Bennett (new)

Bennett I find that about eragon insulting.