Tom's Reviews > Armageddon's Children

Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks

Mar 27, 2009

Read in March, 2009

We all have those books that we read as teens that will always stay near/dear to our hearts. For me, the Terry Brooks "Shannara" novels are in that category. I read the first of these novels The Sword of Shannara when I was 13 or 14 and it struck a lifelong love of Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

So, it's hard for me to read this book without looking through that lens, but I found it incredibly enjoyable. The only reason I don't give it five stars is a structural, story arc complaint. I wish books in a trilogy (such as this one) could each stand as complete stories on their own, rather than being one complete narrative, split into three parts.

The "cliffhanger" approach can be fun, but not when when you don't have book 2 & 3 on hand and have to find/order them and then wait for two or three weeks to continue the story!

The story here is, as the subtitle indicates, the "Genesis of Shannara." It is basically the story of the connection of what, presumably, is our world and the fantasy world of Shannara. This trilogy is the link between Brooks' "Word and Void" series Running with the Demon, where magic is pretty much non-existent and/or not believed to be true; and the Shannara series, where magic is accepted as a day to day occurrence.

That all might sound complex/far-fetched, but the linking is artfully and cleverly done (so far).

In this story, we find the world post-nuclear armageddon, a concept that seems to be a popular one these days (ex: The Road - soon to be a movie, the "Fallout 3" computer game, etc.). Brooks does a great job of theorizing & describing the different ways in which people might survive in this world. The focus of the story is on three or four pivotal characters. I like this approach because it increases the tension. You're never quite sure which one of these characters may not make it to the end of the story alive.

I'm looking forward to getting & reading the next two books in the series, I just wish I didn't have to do so quite so impatiently!

Darn cliffhangers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armageddon's Children.