Charles's Reviews > Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream

Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger

Mar 03, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in January, 2007

If you think this book is about high school football in Texas, you're pretty much wrong. There is a fair amount about football, but this book is really a sort of sociological study of a small Texas town where Football is played. There is a lot about the difficulties of the local economy after the oil slump, and in general the book gives what I thought was a fairly negative view of the people and their preoccupations.

I almost never like movies better than books, but in this case I thought the movie did a really excellent job of cutting out the boring parts of the book and of bringing out the good qualities and the passion of the locals instead of focusing more on negatives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday Night Lights.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Yes, we did have similar reactions to this book. I'm glad to see from your review that the movie is worth watching, though, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Charles Indeed, I liked the movie alot, but then I'm a big fan of football and it really was narrowed down to the story of the season with some stuff about the struggles of the people who followed the team.

Shavon Jones Thanks for explaining the reason for your review. i like stories that infuse the sociological impact of sports while also covering the game itself. I will give this one a try.

Charles It definitely has those elements, and is generally well written.

Shavon wrote: "Thanks for explaining the reason for your review. i like stories that infuse the sociological impact of sports while also covering the game itself. I will give this one a try."