Charles's Reviews > Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream

Mar 03, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in January, 2007

If you think this book is about high school football in Texas, you're pretty much wrong. There is a fair amount about football, but this book is really a sort of sociological study of a small Texas town where Football is played. There is a lot about the difficulties of the local economy after the oil slump, and in general the book gives what I thought was a fairly negative view of the people and their preoccupations.

I almost never like movies better than books, but in this case I thought the movie did a really excellent job of cutting out the boring parts of the book and of bringing out the good qualities and the passion of the locals instead of focusing more on negatives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday Night Lights.

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Yes, we did have similar reactions to this book. I'm glad to see from your review that the movie is worth watching, though, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Charles Indeed, I liked the movie alot, but then I'm a big fan of football and it really was narrowed down to the story of the season with some stuff about the struggles of the people who followed the team.

Shavon Jones Thanks for explaining the reason for your review. i like stories that infuse the sociological impact of sports while also covering the game itself. I will give this one a try.

Charles It definitely has those elements, and is generally well written.

Shavon wrote: "Thanks for explaining the reason for your review. i like stories that infuse the sociological impact of sports while also covering the game itself. I will give this one a try."

message 5: by Hunter (new) - added it

Hunter Matthews I agree this book is s great read but it really does focus on a lot of negatives. Its not for people who cant read between the lines so to speak. As I started reading I expected a book pertaining to football as the main subject. It ends up being very profound and much more then just football. It shows the pressures that all these student athletes are really under, not only that but the pressure the whole town is under

Charles Hunter wrote: "I agree this book is s great read but it really does focus on a lot of negatives. Its not for people who cant read between the lines so to speak. As I started reading I expected a book pertaining t..."

It is a very good sociological exploration of the topic.