Renee 's Reviews > Letters from Santa: A Christmas Alphabet

6120471
Dec 19, 2012

bookshelves: kids-books
Read in December, 2012

My son and I reviewed this book for our website, http://MotherDaughterBookReviews.com. My son wanted to give the book 10,000 stars, then I talked him down to 5 1/2 and finally we agreed he could give it 5 (that's why the 5 stars). Here's what we have to say:

SON SAYS:

This book is about the alphabet and what the letters stand for at Christmas. I like the cover of the book because it looks like a letter. I have a wreath and it’s not made of holly and the picture in the book doesn’t look like a real wreath. I liked the rest of the pictures.

The snowman and the ice parts were fun because I was just outside with my sister playing in the snow and making a snowman. I liked the picture of the birdie because he was cute. I loved the whole book. The only problem was that the picture of ice was actually a snowflake.

The book made me excited about Christmas and I wish the present would jump out of the book so I can have an extra one. I knew all the words already so I didn’t learn anything new. [Well, maybe he needed only one reminder of what a quilt is.] I think boys and girls one year and older would like this book (that means everyone).

MOM SAYS:

What I liked and disliked:

Well, we don’t normally review books for little, little ones, but truth be told, we actually enjoyed this sweet little Christmas alphabet books for toddlers and preschoolers. Each page of this relatively lengthy book (56 pages) highlights one aspect of “Christmas” or winter starting with that letter. So there are angels, elves, candy canes, holly, wreaths, and so on.

Overall, it is really well done and I have to say that I was really curious to see how more unusual letters like “q”, “x”, and “z” would be handled in the book. Ok, so “quilt” isn’t exactly a “Christmasy” thing, but with the way it’s handled in the book (“Q is for Quilt that my grandmother sewed”), I can accept its inclusion. I mean what else? Question? Quail? Quiet? Queen? Yup, quilt is good. Also, as my son pointed out above, there were a few things that didn’t really go with the picture, but heh, it was a tall task!
Letters from Santa by Katrina Streza

The illustrations are all fantastic. The cover of the book looks like an envelope that has been mailed and the pictures of each letters are framed by a stamp thus reinforcing the play on words of “Letters From Santa”. All of the illustrations were very festive with an old style font used for the letters and snowflakes in all the pictures. The pictures really were beautifully done.

My bottom line:

This was a very sweet Christmas alphabet book that I’m sure parents would love to enjoy with their young children. I would recommend this book to families with children aged 2 years and over.

* Letters From Santa was provided to us by the publisher free-of-charge in exchange for our honest review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters from Santa.