Lonica's Reviews > Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: ya-class
Read in March, 2009

I think that this book would be appealing to teens who are interested in warfare or what happened during the Vietnam War. Boys would also be interested in the relationships that Perry develops during his time in the military. This would be particularly appeal to teens because of the current conflict/war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

This book addresses the need to be a strong older sibling, loneliness, questioning what you want to do with your life, dissatisfaction with you position in life, and the need to develop friendships to survive.

I thought the characters were definitely believable. Although I have never fought in a war, I could imagine feeling the same way that Perry did in many situations. I thought that he was authentic and honest. This story certainly relates well to other novels I’ve read about the Vietnam war and what it was like—particularly, The Things They Carried.

I would promote this book by pairing it with similar fiction. I would go hand in hand really well with a book like The Things They Carried, or the new novel Walter Dean Myers wrote about fighting in Iraq. Both books would led further insight into Fallen Angels and interest teens in reading more, I think.

4Q (I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as The Things They Carried), 4P, J/S
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen Angels.