Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

1987170
Aug 28, 09

bookshelves: spec-fic-science-fiction, spec-fic-sf-utop-distop-ia-appocaly, award-winners, read-in-2009, blog-reviews, spec-fic-horror
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: SFBC
Read in August, 2009

Mini Synopsis:
An unnamed man and his boy are faced with trying to survive on a post apocalyptic earth. The cause of this is alluded to but never fully explained. They are traveling on a road toward the coast in the futile hope of finding sustenance – food, clean water, life, and like minded companionship. Their world is ashen, and no other life exists except a few wandering survivors and bands of lawless thugs. Resources are scarce since it is apparently years after the actual event and most have been already used by the remaining survivors. As they struggle and travel theirs becomes a story of horror, familial love, sadness, and an almost impossible hope for survival.
My Thoughts:
I rated it unusually – it swings bluntly between 2.5 stars and 4.5 – on balance it it 3.5 stars.
For the highest rating of this swing I gave The Road, I can say It was incredible. I felt such strong emotions as I read this book. As I read I felt the loss, pain, and horror. It left an empty feeling deep in the pit of my stomach - very real. The writing flows and is broken up into small sections making it easier to digest since it has a heart wrenching effect. Most importantly, I found myself thinking about it as during the day.
The problem that I had with this book was that within the simple text and realistic dialog between son and father, there were little sections of which were impossible for me to understand. Small and short as they were - they appeared to be describing very intense emotions. I just did not “get these little bits”. Feeling a little dense - I even read them to my husband and he expressed the same perspective. (Because of this he probably will not read the book.)
In Summary I recommend this book, if you can overlook the parts that I am describing, or perhaps you will not notice them at all. I seldom give above a 4 star rating so parts of the book are exceptional.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

08/14/2009 page 120
49.79% "It feels so realistic... so heartbreaking...." 2 comments

Rose One of the most powerful little books I've ever read. Haunted me and Frank both for days. Connor has to read it next year for English.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) I keep getting mixed reviews from this one - but we shall see. We seem to be on the same page when it comes to most of our reads!

Rose It's just a very bleak, very dark book. But with a hint of hope and you are definitly changed afterwards.

Rose Overall Shellie, did you like it? I love the simplistic way it was written, keeping it fairly uncluttered and full of explanations. It shows both the best and worst of us.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Review coming soon... yes, I really enjoyed it. I think my rating is going to be 3.5 to 4.5 vacillating... because he does simple mostly and it is powerful... but there where bits that were not accessible... esoteric. I even read a few of those parts to John and he said exactly the same thing(because of that he probably will not read the book.) They seemed to be the parts where he was talking about strong and complicated feelings and situations...
All in all I do agree very powerful stuff. I keep thinking about it too. I can't wait for the movie.

Rose Yes, I always tend to favor books that keep me thinking days after I'm done. I remember how grateful I was for all the colors in the world :)

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Ah I get you now... it was very gray and sooty with no life....lol.