All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius

The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination by John Joseph Adams

Dec 19, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-chris
Read in February, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

I have a confession to make – I’m not usually a big fan of anthologies. I’m not sure if it’s because I get annoyed that there’s not more to the story or what, but short stories and I have never gotten along. So of course I went with an anthology for my first review here at All Things Urban Fantasy. Oops. Or at least oops is what I was thinking when I first sat down to start the book. Then I started reading and that oops quickly changed in to a grin as I dived in to story after story.

This topic is absolutely perfect for the short story format. I may not want to read an entire book from the evil genius’ point of view, but reading a couple dozen pages from said point of view was certainly fun. Way more fun than I was certainly expecting.

From the delightful opening “apology” letter written by Austin Grossman to the closing story by Ben Winters there wasn’t a bad story in the bunch. Which is saying something as there were a few authors included who I normally have no taste for.

If you’re like me and you normally avoid short story collections like the plague then you need to do yourself a favor and give this one a try. This is especially true if – like me – you find yourself rooting for the bad guy in books and movies more often than not. If nothing else these stories make for a delightful tonic if you’ve temporarily had your fill of good guys doing good guy things with their good guy pals.

Now if you’ll excuse me I need to get back to my lab…

AUTHOR LIST

• “Rural Singularity” by Alan Dean Foster

• “Captain Justice Saves the Day” by Genevieve Valentine

• “The Mad Scientist’s Daughter” by Theodora Goss

• “The Space Between” by Diana Gabaldon

• “Harry and Marlowe Meet the Founder of the Aetherian Revolution” by Carrie Vaughn

• “Blood and Stardust” by Laird Barron

• “A More Perfect Union” by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

• “Rocks Fall” by Naomi Novik

• “The Food Taster’s Boy” by Ben Winters

Sexual Content:
Some Inuendo
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination.

message 1: by Steph (new)

Steph I love that title!

All Things Urban Fantasy Steph wrote: "I love that title!"

Me too :) Plus check out that line up!

message 3: by Steph (new)

Steph Packed with goodness :D