Tera's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

May 18, 09

bookshelves: read-in-09, i-cant-believe-a-tree-died-for-this
Read in May, 2009

If I could I would give this a negative rating. I despised this book. I despised the characters. I despised the repetitive language "blah blah blah nymphette". I despised any reasoning that would make this a "classic". I even despised the author's notes on the book in the back.
Hated it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sheila I have not yet read Lolita, though I would like to. You might want to check out The Reader,
as it might be a "reversed" Lolita. :o)
In The Reader, the boy is 15, and the woman is in her 30's. It's a quick read too...I read half the book last night in one sitting.

message 2: by Tera (new) - rated it 1 star

Tera I've been eyeing that one since the Oscars. Ill have to check if my library has it or not. Someone nominated Lolita for May's read but I wanted to read it anyways so we will see.

message 3: by Brandie (new)

Brandie Tell us how you really feel! lol. I love your review! And I'm so glad I never picked this one up...sounds like a big waste of time.

message 4: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Wow, I couldn't get this book at our library so I ended up getting it at the bookstore. I don't have very high hopes for it. I haven't started it yet, I usually agree with you Tera so...

message 5: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi Your review has left me wanting to read it!

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie You summed up my thoughts beautifully. I (attempted to) read this several years ago and it was just truly terrible. No clue how it's been labeled as a classic.

message 7: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie My curiousity got the best of me...finally. I checked it out and am going to read it as soon as I get back from Mexico.