Erin's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Mar 23, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, library-borrows
Read in March, 2009

The first Gaiman book I've actually been able to finish!

This book was definitely better than I had anticipated. Gaiman presented a lot of cliched mythology (ghosts, vampires, werewolves, etc) in an interesting new way. A new take on life after death and a subtle, but persistent, moral about living your life to the fullest...while you can. I really enjoyed Bod as a character; his innocent intelligence through most of the story was definitely compelling. You couldn't not like him (which was an interesting juxtaposition with the treatment he receives from most people in the book). And Silas was really intriguing as well.

The one thing that brought this book down for me was the ending. It was really abrupt. The bad guy pops up without any warning whatsoever (which is, I suppose, what bad guys would do in real life), despite the fact that we've been getting little glimpses into his side of things every so often. And a character from the beginning of the story makes a reappearance, only to be a bit of a disappointment at the end (which I suppose could be attributed to "growing up", but bah). The book finishes up on a very melancholy note and I just felt really sad for Bod.

In any case, definitely worth a look. And if you aren't a Gaiman fan, give it a look anyway; you might be surprised=)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

03/03/2009 page 95
30.45% "I'm surprised that I've gotten this far in the story, given that it's a Gaiman book."