Emily's Reviews > The Crown Conspiracy

The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan

Mar 04, 09

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, own-physical, signed
Read in March, 2009

I just finished this book by Goodreads novelist Michael Sullivan. As others have said, it's a really enjoyable book surrounding two thieves - Royce and Hadrian. These guys are basically the best in their trade and manage to both be hired by and steal from nobles as a way to make a living. One of their jobs leads to them being framed for the murder of the king. The rest of the book is basically their adventures in trying to save the Prince and clear their names.

I did enjoy this book - particularly as a quicker read than some of the other things that I've been reading lately. I also like that it does stand alone, even as we're left wanting to know more about the characters. I actually might be disappointed in this book's character development if I didn't know it was going to be a series, leaving open the possibility for more learning about these characters - both main and secondary.

My one other sadness regarding the book is I think I went into it expecting a bit more caper-related-plot in my book-about-thieves. (I'm thinking Scott Lynch here.) That wasn't really what this was. I almost never found myself being really blown away or surprised by the plot twists and turns, which in the absence of deep character development or high epic fantasy I guess I was kind of hoping for.

That said, there was enough left open at the end of the book to make me want to read the series. Like - what happened to that crazy wizard? Why does Royce seem to love elves? How did Hadrian become such a good sword fighter? And, most importantly, will Myron ever kiss a girl?
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown Conspiracy.