Sarah's Reviews > All-Star Superman, Vol. 2

All-Star Superman, Vol. 2 by Grant Morrison

Mar 06, 09

bookshelves: comics
Read in March, 2009

I reread All-Star Superman Volume 1 in preparation for this conclusion of the series, and in doing so, finally saw the entire charm and full scope of emotionality that the limited run encompasses. I had enjoyed the quietest moments of the first volume, the subtle references to the inevitable fading of the life cycle, with a single life's connection to the entire universe and across time. But in the second series, these shadings come front and center, with urgency, as Superman's powers fade and his time on Earth is running short.

Some of the more fantastic action sequences happen in this collection, particularly in the last issue. Some of the most fantastic rescues occur during this collection, too, most poignantly when Superman saves a suicidal teenager, or must excavate himself from the Bizarro world before it gets sucked into the Underverse (yeah, I know, that just sounds crazy). In each instance, the fact of death is prominent; the stories are no longer as goofy or gentle, though each contains softer moments. But everything is finite, and Clark's words at his adopted father's funeral come to define our appreciation for this superhero: "A man is measured not by what he says, but what he does." And what Superman does with his time left on Earth is impressive and just plain good-natured in the face of another past looming over him, as well as an uncertain future.

There are things in this series I still don't understand. However, I'm sure these books will make for great rereading projects, and I look forward to what else I can glean from Morrison's take on this iconic character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Star Superman, Vol. 2.