Nandi Crawford's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: civil-rights-stories, the-south-and-it-s-things, nandi-s-favorites, historical, movie-movie, re-reading-it-again-i-don-t-mind
Read from December 07 to 16, 2011, read count: 2

I sat up for most of last night reading this book, and I tell you it was something. It is about a group of maids in Jackson,Miss, working for white employers and getting up with a young white girl just out of college to write of their experiences. Of course, it's anonymous, but when the book hits the streets of Jackson, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it's about THEM. And that's when the fur flies for real. Very good debut novel by a promising new author.
UPDATE as of 12/16/11*** I have seen the movie, The Help and sat down and read this book once more and you know it is just as good this time as it was the very first time I read it. I even bought the movie to see, and though there are those who don't care for it, I do. No, I don't care for the things done although it could be worse, but these memories are only a good generation behind us now and there are those with long memories. what I like is the fact that many whites are reading this, watching the movie and perhaps coming to the conclusion that No, things weren't as great as we thought they were. If you ask me, ALL of the people in Jackson were in a prison of their own making. Hilly, because she was the leader of the pack, meanhearted, running folks lives and starting up a whole bunch of mess. causing women to lose their jobs, one even going to prison. Miss Leeflot was in another because she couldn't think for herself. Skeeter was fighting the traditional ways as opposed to what was in the wind. I think of all the folk in the book, she was the one set free. The maids in their own ways, they were existing. The book was their declaration of independence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

03/03/2009 page 42
9.31% "before I got it, I have seen it on Black Expressions and like it."
03/03/2009 page 161